Tue

Oct

2013

Video Diary Episode 16 - "Meetings & Opinions"

Here is my latest video blog which I shot whilst in London for a busy day of film meetings I had last week. I met an actress to play the female lead and a very talented CGI animator called, Henry Strong, who is re-designing the alien pods and spaceships which attack the cities.

I also had a meeting with a potential film sales agent.

Now, in the last few days, Creative England launched a new film fund for the West Midlands (UK) which is really great news for us and another glimmer of hope that the UK economy is finally starting to pick up. This is a significant fund and could finance up to 50% of the movie. However, one of their criteria is that we need a film sales agent/distributor attached. So, I set up this first meeting to talk about a potential collaboration.

However, for me the meeting didn’t go as expected  - and we didn’t even get to the part where we discuss any future potential. After this I'm wondering if I should hold back on showing people what we've shot until the movie is complete. What do you think...?

Write a comment

Comments: 9
  • #1

John Trigonis (Wednesday, 30 October 2013 16:21)

What's that saying these days? Ah, yes –– "Haters gonna hate," so let 'em hate. That's why you went with the crowd for Kaleidoscope Man :-) Love the honesty in these diaries, by the way. Keep it up, Simon!

• #2

Ian Dangerfield (Wednesday, 30 October 2013 16:31)

The 100's of positive comments outweigh the few negative comments. I can see 'the few' giving themselves a face palm in the not too distant future ;) This film is going to be a winner!

• #3

David Buick (Wednesday, 30 October 2013 17:34)

“Well, opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.” - Harry Callahan ( Dirty Harry ). You just need to believe in what you're doing and hopefully it will all work out. I pitched 3 ideas to 6 people at the London Screenwriters' Festival and had 2 positive responses. That for me is a great result. You know your film better than anybody else. Just keep at it and don't let the bastards grind you down! :-)

• #4

Lee Goodwin (Wednesday, 30 October 2013 19:32)

Remember that George Lucas had to agree to take a percentage of the Star Wars revenue rather than get paid upfront because very few people believed in the film and thought it wouldn't do anything! Kaleidoscope Man will prove the doubters wrong!

• #5

Anthony Navarro (Wednesday, 30 October 2013 19:34)

That's why you have crowd funding - what one group calls cheesy, one group calls awesome. Are you into smoked gouda, or Cheeze Whiz? There's an audience for everything. Your goal is NOT to please everyone but to please a group. I would never fund a film about NASCAR (no offense to NASCAR fans) but I'm all into funding SciFi and zombie flicks. Though the last film I supported on Kickstarter was about zombies (and it actually sucked, sadly, but that's another story) I expect much more from K-Man. Keep the faith, and keep on keeping on. We look forward to the finished product.

• #6

Gary Charlton (Wednesday, 30 October 2013 22:38)

Ignore the critic's.Be positive,believe in yourself,because we all know you have the ability to make kaleidoscope man a great success.

• #7

Bryan Mark Wilde (Thursday, 31 October 2013 06:52)

Simon there is a big problem with modern movies theses days there all action and no story, i'm not saying all are but allot are.
    for them to say your film is dated is insane. i guess they think your movie has a to strong story, make the film how you want, its how you wanted the movie, that made us all fall in love with your movie idea, crowd funding success proved this.
    make them eat there own words when they realize people want a great story which is science fiction, it will make them think twice. best of luck simon

• #8

Mark Robbins (Thursday, 31 October 2013 14:12)

Well, i've just caught up with these comments and i've got to say i agree! Heartwarming comments... No Time for haters or non constructive opinions.. We are getting Loads of Positive feedback from other quarters... Heads down, keep calm, and carry on the Charge!!!! ;)

• #9

Xiang (Sunday, 03 November 2013 11:36)

Keep going! Just ignore the critical and focus on your plan. Even George Lucas thought that Star Wars wouldn't make enough money. Keep going!